Friday, December 12, 2014

Oct 27 - The hole in the floor

So one morning when I showed up at the little house on center street Roger had his feet dangling over the side of the floor into a pit that he was digging out of the foundation (or lack of) under the house. He had a little shovel and one shovelful at a time he was filling up buckets and taking the dirt out to the trailer. I started helping, finally, and could barely keep up with him and that shovel. He had pulled out a rock, no, more of a boulder - that I had to have Ben take to the trailer because I could barely scooch it across the floor to get it out of the way. All of this in about a 3 x 3 foot space. He reached down into that hole and pulled out that rock. I do not know how he does the things he does, have I used the word amazing yet today?

Anyway this spot is the heart of the house. After it was all dug out Roger poured cement into a mold and secured a post to it to hold up the retaining wall. It sounds easey peasey when you read it here in a paragraph or two, but believe me this was a feat that no mere mortal would ever think of undertaking himself, but Roger did think it, and then he did it. I think that it was at this point that I began to realize what we had actually had the audacity to ask a neighbor to do to help us on this project. He'd been here before, he knew what we were asking and still he said yes. Sometimes there are just too many blessing to count and too much gratitude to express. It most likely would have been better if we'd just added another layer of wallpaper and coat of paint and waited for the little house to just disintegrate into the earth, but at this point (a month and a half down the road) I am so glad we didn't just do that because as it all starts to come together I can't tell you how excited I am to see this project coming to fruition.


No comments:

Post a Comment